Monday, July 18, 2005

Who?

So, I've got this new sorta job writing music related things for one of the local free New Orleans newspapers, "Where Y'at". My first assignments were due today so, naturally, I waited until last night to write them. I don't mean to say they were difficult or that I needed a lot of time to write them up or anything; that's mostly the reason that I let myself wait until the last minute to do it. I wrote the show previews for the upcoming Holly Golightly and Brian Jonestown Massacre dates. The BJM was pretty easy, as I've listened to them for years now and seen them twice before. Holly Golightly, on the other hand, not so much. I saw her with Linda last year but other than that sorta didn't know jack shit about her. Well, that is no longer the case. In preparation for the 150-200 word show preview that I wrote I became a Holly Golightly expert. She's pretty cool by the way. And after trying to think of ways to sell these shows to people who have never heard of this music in their lives I got myself totally pumped up for them too. So...yay!
Anyway, here they are:


Holly Golightly
Monday 8/8, (?) PM
One Eyed Jacks (615 Toulouse, 569-8361)

In 1995 Holly Golightly left the all girl garage band Thee Headcoatees and began her solo career with the album The Good Things. Golightly plays rock 'n' roll music with a heavy blues influence. Throughout the years and her many albums she has remained true to her garage rock roots and her songs continue to convey that raw quality that many fans now associate with her music. Perhaps the best thing about Golightly is her beautiful voice, deep and befitting. It hasn't been long since Golightly was last in New Orleans; she played One Eyed Jacks in November of last year. She mingled with the swelling crowd right up until she took the stage. It was then that she proceeded to sing her audience into the night. Perhaps her disarming presence coupled with her ever charming accent have something to do with it, but Golightly has a knack for making one feel right at home watching her play and, at the same time, seems right at home herself.



Brian Jonestown Massacre
Wednesday 8/10, 10 PM
TwiRoPa (1544 Tchoupitoulas, 587-3777)

The first time I saw Brian Jonestown Massacre perform they made it
through three whole songs before they started swinging mic stands at
their audience; the second time I saw them they were perfect. The
music swelled and hung like a fog in the room, but not like the
sticky, nightly New Orleans fog. It was like a red-tinged cloud of
rock 'n' roll that you would never want to step out of. Anyone who saw
last year's documentary, DiG!, by Ondi Timoner knows that the former
scenario is what BJM is most infamous for. Anton Newcombe, the band's
mastermind, is widely thought of as a musical genius; but it's his
self-destructive nature that has hindered the band from becoming
popular for more than just their in-band fighting and their lead
singer's unpredictability. Still, Newcombe is infinitely inspired and
musically prolific. Unfortunately, due to his eccentricities and the
band's inability to function consistently they have been unable to
maintain a healthy relationship with a record label and have always
lacked major distribution. However, in Anton Newcombe's quest to take
over the world he will continue to tour and record as many albums as
humanly possible. Lucky for us.

BJM's new mini disc, We Are The Radio, comes out tomorrow on Tee Pee Records. You can listen to the single, "God Is My Girlfriend", on Tee Pee's site or the Massacre's myspace page. Dr. Newcombe is on his game. Ummnn, does he still do smack? Anyone know?


Another new song, but this one by BRMC, (yes!) can be found on their myspace page. It's called "Ain't No Easy Way" and it's really jangly and old timey rock soundin'. It sort of doesn't sound like BRMC. The new album, Howl, is supposed to come out on August 23rd. They're still attractive by the way. And I think maybe they've finally gotten some new black outfits! It's about time too, those old ones were starting to get a little too holey.

By the way, I'm seriously lovin' the myspacer lately. And bands, like reeeal bands, utilizing it to put their new songs out there for everyone to hear. You can listen to Death Cab For Cutie's single from their upcoming album on their myspace page too but I refuse to link to it because the song is too lame. I just checked to see if the Fruit Bats a.) had a myspace page and if so then b.) had their new song, Lives Of Crime, on their page. It seems as if they DO have a page but it must be really new because that damn Tom is their only friend. And that's just sad. (And no, the song isn't on there. Get it here instead.)

np - BRMC - "Ain't No Easy Way" (duh.)

4 comments:

my little apartment said...

yeah, i dunno about smack, but speed fer sure. hes started djing at LJ (the bar im always referring to, also known as 'my living room' cause im there so much it might as well be my house) on Monday nights and its seriously the best night of music ive heard in a looong time. youll have to check it out if youre ever over this way.

Samantha said...

that totally rules.
if anton was djing at a bar in my city i would go there all the time too.

lucasjackson7 said...

DiG is a great movie and should be seen by anyone anywhere ever wanting to start a band. For all the mess that the BJM had going on, they sure seemed like they had enough fans at their shows for "word of mouth."

Congrats on the writing gigs and mega thanks for the clap your hands mp3s you posted. Ehh graahhtzi!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my 10 music pop top site.
Have a good day!