Sunday, April 10, 2005

Whenever I wake up...

Probably most people have had the pleasure of seeing the new Adidas commercial "Hello Tomorrow" directed by Spike Jonze with the accompanying song being composed by Squeak E. Clean and sung by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The video is beautiful first of all, the direction and music are perfectly matched. The video itself is very fluid and serene and it features a pretty boy running about in the middle of the night. The song is Karen O at her best. When the Yeah Yeah Yeahs first came out with their self-titled EP there was no band that I loathed more. Seriously, we're talking hated with the fire of a thousand suns. But then when I lisnted to "Maps" of off Fever To Tell I realised that there was a completely different side to Karen O's voice than the screaching bullshit that I had heard on almost every other Yeah Yeah Yeahs song. Thank god. When she's actually singing it's almost like a modern day Chrissie Hynde.
I've heard that Wes Anderson has signed a contract to direct 3 Pepsi commercials. I know that the thought of this has some Wes Anderson lovers hanging their heads in despair but I am intrigued to see what comes of it all. I love this new wave of artsy commercials that we're seeing. We can all thank Nick Drake and VW for that I think.

Adidas "Hello Tomorrow" commercial
Karen O - Hello Tomorrow (original version)
Karen O - Hello Tomorrow (full version, with more production)

No comments: